Regular attendance and punctuality are required of every student. Students who have good attendance generally achieve higher grades and enjoy school more. We expect all students to attend school regularly and to be on time for classes in order to benefit from the instructional program and to develop habits of punctuality, self-discipline, and responsibility.
School Day and Holidays
- Kinder-prep through 8th Grade Mon-Fri 8:00-3:30
- Option of Half Day for KP-K Mon-Fri 8:00-12:00
Dalhart Christian Academy will attempt to observe holidays in accordance with Dalhart Public Schools. A DCA calendar will be provided at the beginning of the year.
When a student is absent, parents should call the school the day of the absence and notify them that the child will not be at school for the day. The parents should also send a note explaining the reason for the absence. The parent should send a note explaining the reason for the absence the day the student returns to school. Should there be no call or note of explanation for the student’s absence, the absence will be unexcused.
Makeup work is allowed for the following excused absences:
- Verified illness by a doctor’s permit or a note from the parent.
- Verified medical appointments
- School-sponsored trips approved by the administrator are not considered absences if makeup work is completed within the individual teacher’s guidelines.
- Special absences (trips, appointments, etc.) with administrative approval and student’s academic good standing.
Special absences must be approved in advance by the administration. Ten absences will result in a review of absences by the Board of Directors. Any other absence is considered unexcused. The student will receive a zero on all tests and assignments due during the unexcused absence. Makeup work is required by no credit will be given for it.
Promptness is essential for well-ordered classes. Parents should see that their children arrive on time. Students are tardy after 8:00 a.m. Tardies are recorded by the bells. On the third day of the third unexcused tardy for the semester, the parent will receive a fine of $15. For each additional tardy thereafter, the fine will increase in increments of $5. Example, 4th tardy – $20, 5th tardy – $25, 6th tardy – $30, etc. Tardies will start over each semester.
In order to maintain a secure environment at Dalhart Christian Academy, students will be released and dismissed in the following manner:
- Should a student need to leave campus early (Lunch, Doctor, Dental appointments, etc.) the parent or guardian will need to enter the school office and sign the child out. A child will not be released prior to the child being signed out.
- All other students will be dismissed to their parent or guardian at the end of the school day. A teacher will be standing with the student outside or inside due to inclement weather until the last student is dismissed.
- Should a student walk or ride a bike, the parent or guardian should sign the permission slip to walk or ride form to be kept on file. This form should also be signed for a student to be released to the care of a sibling under 18 years old.
- Each student must have a list on file of who may pick them up; parents, grandparents, guardians, or other. At times it may become necessary to identify the identity of a person authorized to pick up a child but whom the teacher does not know. In this circumstance, a copy of a valid photo identification, an instant photograph of the individual, or recording of the driver’s license number and car tag numbers will be necessary. The individual picking up the child may provide the information. This information will remain in the child’s file.
- If someone other than the people on the student’s pick up list will be picking up the child, please notify the school office of this information. The student will not be released to go with that person, until we have written documentation from the parent or a phone message from the office from the parent.